Did you know that many of the East Central Regional Library’s resources are available from the comfort of your home? Available 24/7, these free resources give you access to useful tools like live tutoring and resume help, skill-building and tech classes, car repair instructions, language learning software, and more.
Of course we also offer a huge collection of eBooks and eAudiobooks, so you can keep up with your favorite authors or get started on that series you’ve always been meaning to read!
All you need to access these resources is an East Central Regional Library card. Don’t have one? Apply online and we will contact you within two business days with your card number.
Once you have your library barcode number, you are set to use any of our online resources.
Here are 10 favorites to get you started!
1. OVERDRIVE/LIBBY: OverDrive offers a large collection of downloadable eBooks and eAudiobooks that you can read or listen to on your computer, eReader, or mobile device. Currently, we have over 22,000 titles in our OverDrive collection!
Wondering which app to use? The OverDrive app is best for Kindle use, however, it will also work on any device that allows apps to be installed. The Libby app is designed for Android and iOS devices and provides a smooth digital experience, but will NOT play titles in Kindle format.
2. UNIVERSAL CLASS: Today is the day to learn something new! Universal Class offers over 500 online courses and includes topics such as writing, mathematics, personal development, homeschooling, DIY projects, and more. This is the curious person’s dream resource and will not only help you improve on skills you may or may not already have, it might help launch a new life-changing career or hobby!
3. HOONUIT: This is a video-based software training resource that teaches you how to use the latest technology with short, bite-sized how-to videos.
4. RBDIGITAL MAGAZINES: Did you know that in addition to eAudiobooks and eBooks, you can checkout eMagazines from RBdigital? Read using the RBdigital app or online in your browser. You can opt-in to receive new issues automatically and better yet, no due dates–ever!
5. HELPNOW: Parents, have your kids surpassed your knowledge of Algebra? Is it difficult to find the time to help them with homework? We have just the thing to help! HelpNow, a free on-demand one-to-one tutoring service by Brainfuse, is available to anyone with an East Central Regional library card every day of the week from 2-11 p.m. Access additional homework tools to help build skills in writing, math, science, digital literacy, ESL, and more.
- HelpNow Overview (video)
6. JOBNOW: Has your job situation changed? Take advantage of free one-to-one interview and career coaching with JobNow! Coaches are available to help daily from 2-11 p.m. Simply use the JobNow link, enter in your East Central Regional library card number, and get started! When live help is not available, job seekers can upload their resumes to receive detailed feedback and suggestions for improvement. Coaches will respond back within 24 hours. Additionally, JobNow includes resume templates, career resources and assessment, live writing assistance, a test center, and more.
7. MANGO LANGUAGES: Mango Languages is an online language learning system that can help prepare you for realistic conversations in a real world setting. Choose from over 70 world languages or improve on English speaking skills from the perspective of 20 source languages. Tackle the Shakespearean English or Pirate languages just for fun!
8. EBOOKS MN: Now is the time to read local! Ebooks Minnesota is an online eBook collection for all Minnesotans and features content from Minnesota’s independent publishers. Stream eBooks online in your web browser or download to the BiblioBoard app. Looking to pen your own novel? Toggle over to the MN Writes Mn Reads suite of resources and check out the free and open publishing tools.
9. CHILTON LIBRARY: It’s that time of year again–road trip season! Maintain or repair your vehicle with the help of Chilton Library. Unlike other auto repair manuals, Chilton Library is available from home. Diagrams and repair information may be printed.
10. EBSCO Magazines: Our library branches house hundreds of magazines but where can you access Consumer Reports or Entertainment Weekly when we are closed? Here’s a little-known way to access thousands of magazines from the comfort of your home:
- Start at our A-Z Database page.
- Choose the first database, Academic Search Premier.
- Log in with your library barcode.
- Across the top you will see a blue banner with some choices. Choose “Publications.”
- Search for your publication in the “browsing” search box (see image below). Articles and images may be be saved, emailed, and printed!