Approved 8/12/19 by the East Central Regional Library Board
Scope: This policy applies to the library building, its surrounding parking lot and sidewalks. In ECRL locations that are co-located with City facilities, the scope of this policy applies only within dedicated library spaces.
Purpose: East Central Regional Library encourages the public to use its facilities, materials and services to fulfill their informational, educational and recreational needs. To best serve all library users and staff, certain standards and rules of library behavior have been established to ensure that the library is a safe and welcoming environment for all. Library users are expected to be courteous, considerate and understanding of other users and library staff and respectful of library property and the property of others.
The Library recognizes and welcomes users of differing abilities. Nothing contained in this policy is meant to discourage library use by such individuals. Additionally, users should be advised that different areas of the library have different levels of activity and noise and act accordingly to allow for enjoyment of the library by all.
In accordance with the above, behavior becomes unacceptable when it interferes with the appropriate use of the library, the safety and security of library users or staff, staff’s ability to do their job or when it could result in damage to property.
The following is not intended to be an exhaustive list.
The library does not allow:
- Any behavior that is disruptive to library use
- Shouting, running, fighting and roughhousing
- Obscene or threatening language
- Verbal or physical harassment of library staff or other users
- Intimidation through stalking or staring
- Use of tobacco products (cigarettes, cigars, pipes, e-cigarettes, chewing tobacco)
- Engaging in sexual and/or obscene acts
- Consumption of alcoholic beverages or controlled substances, or being under the influence in a manner that causes a public disturbance
- Use of sporting equipment inside the library facility
- Sleeping and/or snoring
- Not wearing proper attire, including shirt and shoes
The following policies further address more specific behaviors:
- Animals in the Library Policy
- Unattended Children Policy
- Solicitation Policy
- Photo and Video Policy
- Acceptable Internet Use Policy
Enforcement: Enforcement of this policy will be conducted in fair and reasonable manner. Library staff will intervene to stop unacceptable behavior. Failure to comply with the Library’s policies or staff directives may result in removal from the library, suspension or revocation of library privileges and/or prosecution to the fullest extent of the law. Staff may tell any user who is in violation of this policy to immediately leave the Library for the day. Failure to leave at staff’s direction will be considered trespassing resulting in notification of law enforcement. Suspensions or revocation of library privileges for periods longer than a day will be made in writing by ECRL Administration.
Appeals: Appeals to suspension or revocation of library privileges may be appealed in writing to the Executive Director.