A resource designed for middle and high school students to help them with their homework and in-depth research assignments. It includes reference works, biographies, essays, overviews, primary works, images, and periodical articles.*
Created for middle-schoolers, combining the best reference content with age-appropriate videos, newspapers, magazines, primary sources, and much more. Students will find outstanding support to complete assignments in core subjects including literature, science, social studies, and history. *
Explora Libraries contains full text of popular magazine and scholarly journal articles covering all subject areas including multimedia, primary source documents, and reference books. Includes Academic Search Premier, Business Source Premier, MasterFILE Premier, Consumer Health Complete, Health Source – Consumer Edition, and Science Reference Center databases.*
Encyclopedia content for all ages plus multimedia, timelines, world atlas, country comparison, quotations, and primary sources.*
An eBook collection that includes titles on a wide variety of subjects, including business and management, computers and technology, and literature. Includes Cliff’s Notes and Nolo books.*
A resource that gives children easy access to magazines, reference books, and newspaper articles that have been selected just for their age group. Aimed at grades K-5.*
Minnesota Libraries Publishing Project: Interested in getting your novel, dissertation, poetry collection, or children’s book into eBook and print-ready formats? Pressbooks is an easy-to-use, online tool that allows you to create professional-quality versions of your book in ePUB, MOBI, PDF, and more formats.
- BookRiot–part reader advisory, part silly fan blog, part highbrow literature discussion and everything in-between.
- CharacTour—Database of favorite fictional characters. Find your next movie, TV show, book, or video game.
- Fantastic Fiction — Bibliographies for over 30,000 authors, including new books, series, and awards
- GoodReads–Keep track of the books you’ve read, rate and review titles, see what your friends are reading. Recommendations based on your bookshelves. Updates on new books, online book clubs, book giveaways and more.
- Riffle—Book discovery tool
- Stop, You’re Killing Me!–Find crime, mystery, thriller and spy novels by author, genre, location, job, character, time period, diversity. View Mystery/Thriller awards lists, newly and to-be published titles.
- What Should I Read Next?– Type in a book or author you have enjoyed to generate a small list of similar reads.
- Whichbook–Express what you’re looking for on sliding scales for mood, emotion, plot shape, and other characteristics and Whichbook will make recommendations.
*Subscription purchased by Electronic Library for Minnesota (ELM). ELM is brought to you by your local library, the MINITEX Library Information Network, and State Library Services and School Technology, the MN state library agency with state appropriations to the Minnesota Office of Higher Education and the Minnesota Department of Education, and federal LSTA funds under the support of the Institute of Museum and Library Services.