Attention all OverDrive app users: this app is being retired by its creator, meaning it will no longer be updated or supported in the near future. All OverDrive app users should plan to switch to the Libby app by the end of 2022 to continue accessing free eBooks, eAudiobooks, and eMagazines with your East Central Regional Library card.
Current OverDrive app users can continue to use the app until further notice, however it will be removed from the Apple App Store, Google Play, and the Microsoft Store in February 2022*. We encourage all OverDrive app users to make the switch to the Libby app as soon as possible to enjoy its easy-to-use interface.
- Which features are available in Libby that are not available in the OverDrive app?
- Easy onboarding for new users
- A unified bookshelf for all loans and holds
- Support for multiple library cards
- Direct user support from OverDrive
- A best-in-class eBook reader that supports comics, magazines, and read-alongs
- Push notifications for ready holds, new magazine issues, and more
- Same look and feel on both Android and iOS devices
- Ability to export notes and highlights
- Tags to track favorite reads, wish lists, and more
- Compatibility with Apple CarPlay (Note: Android Auto is supported in both apps.)
- Sonos speaker integration
- Support for “Extras,” including streaming video services, educational courses, and more
Click here for more information on the OverDrive app retirement, straight from OverDrive themselves.
*Libby is not currently available to download from the Amazon App Store, but OverDrive is working on getting it added. Until then, Kindle Fire users can stream eBooks and eAudiobooks in their web browser from libbyapp.com, on the ECRL OverDrive website, or they can choose to deliver Kindle Fire books to a Fire tablet from a device that supports Libby. For the time being, the OverDrive app will continue to be downloadable from the Amazon App Store.
Need additional help?
Contact us or stop into your local ECRL branch for in-person assistance with switching to Libby.
Check out the “Getting Started with Libby” step-by-step directions.
Find answers to all your Libby app questions on the “Libby Help” webpage.