Inspired by Pride and Prejudice, author Lacy Williams has introduced a new dual love story with a Wild West twist. Voted on by librarians and library readers, Cowboy Pride, has been selected for the next Big Library Read.
Through this project, libraries are helping local authors get the recognition they deserve for writing great books.
This year’s contest kicks off on April 1, 2018, and submissions will be accepted through June 30, 2018.
The winners of this contest will receive:
- $1,000 each in Adult and Young Adult categories. Prizes sponsored by the Minnesota Library Foundation and BiblioLabs.
- A write-up in the December print issue of Library Journal.
- Honors at the American Library Association Midwinter Conference in Seattle.
- Opportunities to promote your book(s) in Minnesota public libraries.
- A Library Journal Digital Review (Winners + Honorable Mentions).
- If available, print copies of your book will be purchased and made available for checkout through Minnesota’s public libraries.
- Multiple submissions are welcome.
Each book that is submitted to the contest must be:
- In an adult fiction or young adult fiction genre
- Written by a Minnesota resident
- Available in either ePUB or PDF file
For books that do not win, you will still have the opportunity to have your book assessed by Library Journal curators to be included in SELF-e Select and to make your book available statewide in the Indie Minnesota collection at MN Writes MN Reads.
East Central Regional Library is on a mission: Get more people to try digital reading!
While we have offered eBooks and eAudiobooks to the community for 6 years, we know that many people are still surprised to learn their library card gives them access to over 11,000 free digital titles.
Throughout the rest of this year, the library is participating in OverDrive’s “Digital Dash” contest. If we hit 90,524 digital checkouts by the end of the year, we will be eligible to win additional funds to buy more eBooks and eAudiobooks for our OverDrive collection.
eAudiobooks are especially rising in popularity. East Central Regional Library’s eAudiobook usage is seeing a 45% increase over last year. We want even more people to know that we have eAudiobooks and eBooks available to borrow at no cost for anyone with an East Central Regional Library card.
Current popular titles include ECRL Reads selection Ice-Out by Mary Casanova, Escape Clause by John Sandford, and Night School by Lee Child. Users can borrow bestsellers and classic eBooks and eAudiobooks to enjoy on smart phones, tablets, Kindles and other eReaders, MP3 players, and computers. East Central Regional Library also offers dedicated spaces for younger readers, with a variety of children and teen titles. There are never late fees with digital titles, as they return automatically at the end of the lending period.
An update for RBdigital will start around 7 p.m. on Wednesday, September 20. This update may take up to 8 hours to complete. During this period, service disruptions are expected for all RBdigital products on both web and mobile, including RBDigital audiobooks, magazines, and eBooks, and the Atomic Training database.
The RBdigital update will deliver a number of new features. We apologize for the inconvenience during this time.
At East Central Regional Library, we love eBooks every day, but today we’re showing our love just a little bit more. September 18th is Read an eBook Day, a celebration of modern storytelling. Be a part of the celebration by checking out your favorite eBook from ECRL’s OverDrive Digital Library.
eBooks enable you to take the stories and authors you love with you anytime, anywhere. If you have a smartphone, tablet or computer you can be connected to a world of literature whether you’re sitting on your couch, on an airplane 30,000 feet in the air and anywhere in between. They save you space in your suitcases, can’t be lost or damaged and can be accessed at the click of a button. If you’ve never tried reading an eBook before, today is the perfect time to try one out! Borrow one of your favorite books or something completely new and discover the joys of digital reading.
Here’s some ideas for how join us in celebrating!
- Check out Ice-Out by Mary Casanova to join ECRL Reads. No waitlists or holds.
- Join the conversation by sharing why you love eBooks with the hashtag #eBookLove on social media for a chance to win a Kobo Aura ONE from OverDrive.
- Listen to author interviews from the Professional Book Nerds podcast.
- Get ideas on what to read next from OverDrive.
- Share what you’re reading and see what other eBook readers from across the world are reading.